Tips From The Head of Enrollment: VOL. 3
Submit an Excellent Application.
Winter break is on the horizon and hopefully, by now you have visited some schools on your list and have determined the ones to which you will apply! Now it is time to prepare your application. This process can take a long time, but it is often one of the first impressions an independent school will have of you, so be sure to make it shine!
What Application Should I Use?
There are several ways to apply to independent schools and you should check the website of each school to which you will apply to see what applications they accept. The Standard Application Online (SAO) is accepted widely by most independent schools and will allow you to multiple schools at once. Other platforms include TABS and Gateway to Prep. Some schools have their own applications, so if you are only applying to one or two schools this is a great option. Emma Willard School offers theirs with no fee to applicants!
Now that you are ready to apply…
- Make sure to fill out the application carefully and completely. Check for spelling and grammatical errors.
- Be thoughtful and creative with your essays. Be sure to let the reader know who you are and why you’ll stand out at the school if offered admission. Use your voice!
- Be proud of your accomplishments. Don’t be shy on your application, this is the time to brag a little bit about how terrific you are!
- Be clear in your application with the reasons you have chosen to apply to the school. Admissions teams love to know that you are serious about their school!
- Collect your supplemental materials. Most schools will require additional items for your application to be complete. These will likely include teacher recommendations, transcripts, etc. If you have other items such as an online art portfolio, a personal recommendation from a camp counselor or coach, copies of athletic awards, or significant community service hours, you may also want to include these with your supplemental packet.
Wishing you the best of luck as you prepare your applications. Stay tuned for our final installment in March that will help you decide on your next school!